We are Christ the King Service Corps. Living simply in a community of faith, we reach out in service to all people in our neighborhood, regardless of race, religion, age or status, to instill hope and create a brighter future for the city of Detroit and its residents.
The Christ the King Service Corps was founded in 2010 by the parishioners of Christ the King Catholic Church in Northwest Detroit with the hopes of supporting Christ the King School and other community organizations.
The inaugural group of five volunteers arrived in the Summer of 2010, with four out of the five deciding to volunteer for a second year. In 2011, the Corps grew to seven, with three new members joining the community. During the upcoming year, CKSC will continue to place volunteers at Christ the King School and as community organizers with MOSES, and expand to include new placement sites.
Where We Live
CKSC at a Glance
- Affiliation: Christ the King Catholic Church
- Size of Program: Long-term: 4 to 7 volunteers. Short-term: 4-7 volunteers.
- Goal of Program: CK Service Corps will provide adult men and women an opportunity to grow spiritually while providing teaching assistance to Christ the King Catholic School or working as community organizers, and becoming involved with CK Parish activities.
- Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted until all positions are filled.
- Current Placements: (See Volunteer Information for current postings)
- Living Arrangements: Volunteers will live in community supporting each other, sharing chores and cooking together in a 6 bedroom house. Opportunities for faith sharing and spiritual growth will be available both within the CKSC community and Christ the King Parish.
- Length of Service: Long-term: 1 to 3 years. Short-term: 1 year.
- Service Area: Detroit, Michigan.
- Requirements: Must be at least 21 years of age and a college graduate. Applicants for Christ the King School must be certified to teach.
- Training: 1-2 weeks of job-specific training in August. Volunteer support & mentoring throughout the year Orientation to surrounding community. Spiritual development op